eastward view over Waygand st. In evidence is the Minaret of Al-Omari Mosque then comes the multi-domed Emir Mansour-Assaf Mosque. Named in honor of Umar ibn al-Khattab, Al-Omari mosque was initially a Crusader church. Occupied and reoccupied again and again by warring factions during the Crusades era, this mosque eventually rested in the hands of the Muslims in 1291. its interior sandstone walls are decorated in Mamluk and Ottoman inscriptions. Inside the mosque, a golden steel cage, a gift from Sultan Abdul Hamid II to Beirut, encircles a preserved shrine for John the Baptist.